This past weekend saw my Dubai Anniversary. I landed in this weird adult Disney World 6 years ago. I don’t think I ever meant to stay so long, and have certainly spent a chunk of that time planning where to escape to next, but this is my home.
(I also am far to lazy to move countries. Did you see the stress I suffered when I had to only move apartments?!)
In my former life as a Fattie (I know it’s only just changing but it counts, ok!!) this would have meant a nice celebratory dinner and drinks out. This time however I decided that I needed to stop celebrating the opening of an envelope and stick to plan.
All good in theory but The Boy suggested Claw for dinner. I was strong and I turned it down but it still pushed me over the edge to have something that wasn’t “diet”.
Enter in the wonderful theory behind Slimming World. NOTHING is off limits. You have syns to play with, but also, you can create some of your favourite things by experimenting with no fats or low fats. It just takes a bit of planning.
I am not great at planning. Totally not in my skill set. So instead I made it up as I went along.
It was bloody epic. I am so incredibly proud of myself!
Trust me when I say that this meal is probably going to end up being a good Thursday night dinner each week. It made me feel like I had been naughty but in reality, the whole lot was only 1.5 syns, the Healthy Extra A and the Healthy Extra B allowances. Even if you had used the HEXB by chomping through Alpen Light Bars in the day, it would only be 7.5 syns which is perfectly manageable.
So, here you go. Here is my recipe for a Burger Blow Out night!!
- 500g lean mince
- 1tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1tbsp garlic powder
- 1tsp chili flakes
- 1 bread roll
- 1 red onion
- Lean bacon
- 40g grated low fat cheese
- 1 tbsp Hellman’s Lighter Than Light Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- 800g potatoes
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp pepper
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 2tsp salt
- Slice your onions into rings, and separate the layers.
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp of water to the onions and then put on a medium to medium low heat for a minimum half an hour.
- Stir regularly.
- Spiralise your potatoes using your Hemsley & Hemsley Spiralizer (or whichever you have), and soak for half an hour in luke warm water.
- Pop your mince into a bowl and thoroughly mix in the BBQ sauce, garlic powder and chili flakes.
- Separate into 6 portions and leave to reach room temperature.
- Mix together the paprika, pepper, garlic powder and salt.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry. Cover in FryLite and sprinkle on the seasoning mix to taste.
- Pop the potatoes in your Philips Airfryer (or whatever you have) and cook as advised.
- Cook the bacon however you normally do.
- Heat your frying pan to medium high heat, and coat with FryLite.
- Squash down your mince into a thin burger shapes, and pop in the pan to cook – about 3 mins per side for medium-well.
- Stack the burgers with cheese between each one, and on top, and pop in the oven for the cheese to melt.
- Mix the Ketchup and Mayonnaise together, divide evenly and spread on rolls.
- Stack your burger with as much onion and bacon as you want, and add the burgers and melted cheese mountain.
- Serve and enjoy!
As stated above, if you make this for two people it comes to 1.5 syns if using your Healthy Extras. If not, you will be adding 6 syns for the cheese and 6+ syns for your bread roll. I have to say that it would be entirely worth it to spend all your syns on this meal! I also know that calorie wise this probably isn’t so fabulous but it is Slimming World friendly so woo hoo!! Because it is low syn, you can obviously add more ketchup and mayo if you wish. I just don’t it to be an over riding flavour, or all your food will always taste the same.
2 Comments Add yours